For further reading, viewing and engagement check out these books, videos and organizations…or make your own : ) I am updating this list all the time, so please check for new ideas. Please let me know favorites of yours too!
- Birnbaum, J., and Fox, L. (2014). Sustainable [R]evolution: Permaculture in Ecovillages, Urban Farms, and Communities Worldwide. **This book is phenomenal!
- Edwards, A. R. (2010). Thriving Beyond Sustainability: Pathways to a Resilient Society. Gabriola Island, British Columbia: New Society Publishers.
- Freinkel, S. (2011). Plastic: A Toxic Love Story. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Freire, P. (1998). Pedagogy of freedom: Ethics, democracy, and civic courage. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
- Freire, P. (1997). Pedagogy of the Heart. London: Continuum.
- Freire, P. (1972). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: Herder and Herder.
- Hawken, P. (2007). Blessed unrest: How the largest movement in the world came into being, and why no one saw it coming. New York: Viking.
- Klein, N. (2008). The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism. New York: Metropolitan Books.
- Krishnamurti, J. (1953). Education and the Significance of Life. Retrieved on October 16, 2016, from: http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/J-Krishnamurti-Education-and-the-Significance-of-life.pdf
- McDounogh, W. and Braungart, M. (2013). The Upcycle: Beyond Sustainability – Designing for Abundance.
- Norberg-Hodge, H. (2014). Localization: Essential Steps to an Economics of Happiness. Local Futures, International Society for Ecology and Culture.
- Norberg-Hodge, H. (1991). Ancient futures: Learning from Ladakh. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books.
- Shiva, V. (2009). Soil not Oil: Climate change, peak oil, and food insecurity.
- Shiva, V. (2005). Earth Democracy: Justice, Sustainability, and Peace. Cambridge, MA: South End Press.
- Terry, B. (2012). Plastic Free.
- Knobauch, J. A. (2009). Plastic Not-So-Fantastic: How the Versatile Material Harms the Environment and Human Health. Scientific American. Received on October 16, 2016, from: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/plastic-not-so-fantastic/
- Do the Math https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuCGVwJIRd0
- SEED: The Untold Story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVOIyzeLb6U
- The Crisis of Civilization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMgOTQ7D_lk
- The Economics of Happiness http://www.localfutures.org/programs/the-economics-of-happiness/the-film/
Organizations, Movements & Engagement
- 350.org: https://350.org/
- 5 Gyres: http://www.5gyres.org/
- Buy me Once: http://www.buymeonce.com/
- International Alliance for Localization: http://www.localfutures.org/programs/global-to-local/international-alliance-localization/
- La Via Campesina: https://viacampesina.org/en/
- Navdanya (seed saving started by Vandana Shiva): http://www.navdanya.org/
- Ocean Defender: http://www.oceandefenderhawaii.com/
- The Global Ecovillage Network: http://gen.ecovillage.org/en
- The Global Footprint Network: http://www.footprintnetwork.org/en/index.php/GFN/
- The Green Belt Movement (started by Wangari Maathai): http://www.greenbeltmovement.org/
- Life Without Plastic: https://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/the_plastic_problem#.WBVWYuErKRs
- Project Drawdown (for sustainable solutions) : http://www.drawdown.org/
- Seed Savers Exchage: http://www.seedsavers.org/
- Soil Not Oil Coalition: http://soilnotoilcoalition.org/